The traveling fellowship program is an annual scientific and cultural exchange among orthopaedic sports medicine physicians in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America. This program is a unique opportunity for individuals to witness orthopaedic sports medicine techniques and surgeries from around the world. Three fellows are selected to visit foreign sports medicine centers for four weeks, and are accompanied by a "Godparent", a well-known senior orthopaedic sports medicine specialist selected by the President of the national sports medicine organization sending the fellows.
Fellows from North America annually alternate travel to Europe, Asia-Pacific or Latin America. In alternate years, fellows from those regions travel to North America. Click on the links below for more information and instructions on how to apply or host a traveling fellow or contact Debbie Czech
with any questions.
AOSSM gratefully acknowledges DJO for their continued support of the Traveling Fellowship program.
Become a Traveling Fellow
We are not currently accepting applications for the Traveling Fellowship.
The Traveling Fellowship Committee will select fellows for the 2019 Asia Pacific tour around December 1, 2018. Thank you for your interest!
Host a Traveling Fellow
Interested in hosting the 2019 ESSKA traveling fellows? Apply Now.
Traveling Fellowship 2018 European Tour
Follow the journey of our 2018 AOSSM to ESSKA Traveling Fellowship, one blog at a time!
Part 1 | AOSSM Traveling Fellows Kickoff European Tour
Part 2 | AOSSM Traveling Fellows Tour on to Lyon
Part 3 | AOSSM Traveling Fellows Live the Life of Luxembourg
Part 4 | To Spain We Go
Part 5 | Traveling Fellows Find Adventure in Germany
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do traveling fellows do?
Traveling Fellows are offered a number of exciting opportunities:
- Participate in scientific symposia with host physicians
- View research facilities and surgical procedures
- Attend a national sports meeting in the region they are visiting
- Participate in social and cultural activities
- What are the benefits of the Traveling Fellowship Program?
The Traveling Fellowship Program offers a rich experience with opportunities to:
- Foster an exchange of scientific information, stimulate research, and develop friendships among physicians who practice sports medicine in North America, Europe, Latin America and Pacific Rim countries
- Serve as a bridge that may be used to forge the future of sports medicine worldwide
- Provide a stimulus for leadership by recognizing young physicians who have made a significant contribution to sports medicine
- Participate in social and cultural activities with the local sports medicine community
- Forge personal and professional relationships that last a lifetime
- How do I Apply for a Traveling Fellowship?
North American - European Exchange
North American - Latin American Exchange
North American - Asian Exchange
Past Tour Highlights
View Photos from Past Tours
Read Past Tour Blog Archives