AOSSM/Aircast Foundation Return to Play Clinical Research Grant
The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), under the auspices of its Research Committee, and in coordination with and support from The Aircast Foundation, is offering one grant of up to $150,000 to support a clinical research project investigating return to play after musculoskeletal injury. Collaborative, multi-center research studies are strongly encouraged and will be a factor in the review process. Studies investigating concussion are not eligible for this grant opportunity.
Applications must describe a study that investigates clinical research on human subjects that aims to improve clinical decision making regarding return to play after musculoskeletal injury. Criteria and metrics utilized in the study must be determined by best scientific evidence and designed to improve the understanding of and research evidence regarding improved return to play parameters. Study participants from any sport or type of sport (e.g. pivoting, contact, overhead), at any age or level of participation, and with common musculoskeletal injuries are ideal for this grant opportunity. Prospective studies will generate higher level evidence for return to play; however, studies that re-analyze existing data will also be considered.
• Studies developing a valid and reliable patient reported outcome measure (PROM) for return to play.
• Studies developing a decision-making assessment tool for current activity and return to play activity, including physical performance and objective/subjective criteria and metrics.
• Studies that utilize contemporary technologies that enable cost-effective decision making and are deployable on a large scale (e.g. mobile apps, web-based interfaces).
• Studies that assess existing valid and reliable scales, with sport-specific subscales, and their utility in decision-making for return to play.
• Studies investigating interventions (e.g. different surgical procedures) that improve rate of return to play.
• Studies investigating return to play by performance, biological, clinical, or imaging metrics.
• Studies of technologies that predict return to play (e.g. app development, cloud based, wearable technology).
• Prospective studies predicting risk or failure in return to play.
This program provides a one-time award of $150,000 to be disbursed over a 24 to 36-month period. The start date of the funded project will be March 1, 2018 and should be completed in a 30 to 36-month period. No-cost extensions may be requested.
Any investigative team seeking such a grant must include at least one member of AOSSM in good standing. No AOSSM Board officer (e.g., President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc.) may be a named investigator on any application. There is no requirement for Principal Investigators to have obtained peer-reviewed funding.
Deadline: November 15, 2017 at 8 PM Pacific
Available Application Downloads and Instructions
Application Cover Page
No extensions will be granted so please plan accordingly. Please contact Kevin M. Boyer, MPH, with any questions.
In coordination with and support from: