AOSSM Hall of Fame Nomination: Instructions and Nominee Criteria
- The Hall of Fame Nomination Form is an online form and must be completed in one session.
- A Curriculum Vitae of the nominee and a photo must accompany the completed online application.
North American Nominee eligibility:
- A living or deceased member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine or a non-member physician who has made exemplary contributions to the field of sports medicine
- 65 years or older
- Current members of the AOSSM Board of Directors are not eligible
International Nominee eligibility:
- A living or deceased member of a national or regional orthopaedic sports medicine organization that is equivalent to AOSSM
- An orthopaedic surgeon or sports traumatologist
- 65 years or older
- A sports medicine career that has spanned a minimum of 15 years.
- Demonstrated exemplary contributions to the field of sports medicine particularly in scientific endeavors and/or leadership, and significant commitment to sports medicine via research and education.
- Made a contribution of enduring value to sports medicine, to the Society in general and to the past and future of the specialty.
- Society activities during an applicant's career, including podium and poster presentations at Society sponsored meetings, publication in AJSM, OJSM, SportsHealth and VJSM, service as a committee member, committee chair or Board member should be clearly indicated.
- All AOSSM members are eligible to make a nomination to the Hall of Fame.
- Whenever possible, the nominator is encouraged to work with the nominee to put together the most accurate and complete application possible.
- The application, without the curriculum vitae, should stand on its own detailing the merits of the nominee.
- There is a maximum of two nominations for the same individual with a three-year waiting period for reapplication.
Sponsors and Letters of Recommendation:
- North American nominees must be sponsored by three AOSSM Members. The Nominator (individual completing the application) must ensure that the applicant is sponsored by three (3) members (including the Nominator) with no more than one former fellow and no more than one from any one practice/institution.
- International nominees must be sponsored by the Nominator (individual completing the application) and two (2) additional individuals- two of the three must be members of AOSSM with no more than one former fellow and no more than one from any one practice/institution. The non AOSSM member sponsor must be a member of an equivalent organization to AOSSM or reside in the same country as the applicant.
- The Nominator (individual completing the application) must ensure that the nomination is supported with three sponsor recommendation letters (including the Nominator).
- Completed recommendation letters must be submitted as part of the online nomination form.
- A maximum of three (3) Hall of Fame inductees are recognized per year.
- The Hall of Fame Committee will make the final decision as to the inductees and will notify all nominees and their nominators whether they were selected.
- The Hall of Fame Committee will review all nominations to assure the nominees have met the selection criteria and warrant consideration and has the right to conduct further research on the nominee prior to consideration.
- Candidates must achieve 85% of the highest possible score to be potentially included in the Hall of Fame. They are scored in the areas of Research, Education, Community Service, and, provided the applicant is an AOSSM member, Enduring Contributions to the Field of Sports Medicine and Service to AOSSM.
- Hall of Fame inductees will be honored at the AOSSM Annual Meeting in July.