Osteoarthritis Research Grant
The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), under the auspices of its Research Committee, is offering one research grant of up to $50,000 to support a research project related to early osteoarthritis (OA) and/or prevention of OA progression. This grant opportunity reflects the recognition of the importance of osteoarthritis and the preponderance of post-traumatic osteoarthritis (PTOA) within sports medicine and orthopaedics. While basic science or translational projects are preferred for this grant opportunity, innovative study designs integrating clinical patients are eligible. Proposals are not required to relate specifically to sports injuries and should also have broad applicability to OA or PTOA in the general population. There are no limitations on previous peer-reviewed funding and any investigative team seeking such a grant must include at least one member of AOSSM in good standing.
To begin the application process, please review the guidelines specific to this grant, below. Next, visit our submission center to start your application. Projects aligning with the following research priorities are encouraged:
• Projects investigating the pre-osteoarthritic joint
• Projects examining prevention or treatment of PTOA
• Projects determining the relationship between injury and OA
• Projects that enhance clinical understanding of articular cartilage response to injury
• Projects investigating OA after ligamentous or meniscal injury, especially basic and translational studies
• Clinical trials or pilots addressing prevention or treatment of post-joint injury OA
• Projects exploring preventative strategies to diminish the long-term risk of OA following acute injury
• Projects explicitly investigating biological or biomechanical progression of OA following injury
Actively Accepting Proposals:
Submission Center Link
Final Application Deadline: June 1, 2021
Available Application Downloads and Instructions:
Osteoarthritis Research Grant Guidelines
Please contact Kevin M. Boyer, AOSSM Director of Research at email@example.com
if you need assistance with signing in or questions about using the submission center.
You can also view a list of past Grant winners here.