The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine is honored to announce Mark Miller, MD, as its 2022-2023 President. Miller was installed at the AOSSM 2022 Annual Meeting held July 13-17, 2022 in Colorado Springs. Miller is the S. Ward Casscells Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and the division head for Sports Medicine at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Miller attended the Air Force Academy in Colorado, serving as a civil engineer in the Air Force prior to medical school. He earned his medical degree from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD, and completed an internship and residency in orthopaedic surgery at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, an Air Force medical center in San Antonio. He completed a fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and then served as a surgeon at the Air Force Academy and at Wilford Hall. He was also selected for two traveling fellowships, one in North America and the other in the Asia-Pacific.
The author/editor of over 200 articles and 40 textbooks, Dr. Miller has served in numerous leadership positions for AOSSM, and was awarded the AOSSM George Rovere Award for Education, the USUHS Distinguished Service Award, and the Virginia Orthopaedic Society Lifetime Achievement Award.
He is a sought-after speaker and has organized numerous Instructional Course Lectures, served as a visiting professor at multiple prestigious programs, and founded and directed the most successful review course in Orthopaedics, the Miller Review Course. He is married with four grown children. In his spare time, he enjoys golf, skiing, fishing and boating.
Dr. Miller succeeds Kurt Spindler, MD, who assumed the title of immediate past president. Prior to assuming the role, AOSSM Presidents serve as vice president and then president elect.
The AOSSM 2022-2023 Board of Directors includes:
- Mark D. Miller, MD, President, University of Virginia Health System
- Dean C. Taylor, MD, President-Elect, Duke Sports Medicine Institute
- Christopher Kaeding, Vice President, The Ohio State University Sports Medicine Institute
- Robert T. Burks, MD, Secretary, University of Utah Orthopaedic Center
- Eric C. McCarty, MD, Treasurer, University of Colorado
- Kurt P. Spindler, MD, Immediate Past President, Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Center
- Michael G. Ciccotti, MD, Past President, Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Matthew Provencher, MD – Member at large, Over 45
- Asheesh Bedi, MD – Member at Large, NorthShore University HealthSystem
- Katherine J. Coyner, MD – Member at Large, UConn Health
- Keith Kenter, MD – Council of Delegates Chair (Ex Officio), Western Michigan University
- Cassandra Lee, MD—Communications Chair (Ex Officio), UC Davis Sports Medicine
- C. Benjamin Ma, MD – Research Chair (Ex Officio), UC San Fransisco Sports Medicine
- Brian R. Wolf, MD – Education Chair (Ex Officio), UI Sports Medicine
- Bruce Reider, MD, Executive Editor, Medical Publishing/Editor-in-Chief AJSM (Ex-Officio Non-Voting)
- Greg Dummer, Chief Executive Officer, AOSSM (Ex-Officio Non-Voting)