The traveling fellowship program is an annual scientific and cultural exchange among orthopaedic sports medicine physicians in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America. This program is a unique opportunity for individuals to witness orthopaedic sports medicine techniques and surgeries from around the world. Three fellows are selected to visit foreign sports medicine centers for four weeks, and are accompanied by a "Godparent", a well-known senior orthopaedic sports medicine specialist selected by the President of the national sports medicine organization sending the fellows.
Fellows from North America annually alternate travel to Europe, Asia-Pacific or Latin America. In alternate years, fellows from those regions travel to North America. Click on the links below for more information and instructions on how to apply or host a traveling fellow or contact Jeff Boyle
, Coordinator of Member Services and Programs, with any questions.
AOSSM gratefully acknowledges DJO for their continued support of the Traveling Fellowship program.
Become a Traveling Fellow
We are currently accepting applications for the 2022 Traveling Fellowship tour to Latin America (SLARD). The SLARD Traveling Fellowship tour is tentatively scheduled for February and March 2022. Click here to complete the application to become a 2022 Traveling Fellow.
Host a Traveling Fellow
We are currently accepting applications to host the 2022 Traveling Fellowship tours to the United States. AOSSM is hosting the Traveling Fellows from ESSKA, APKASS, and SLARD in June and July 2022.
Submit your application to host the 2022 Traveling Fellows.
If you previously applied or have questions about hosting, please contact Jeff Boyle (email@example.com)
, Manager of Member Services and Projects.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do traveling fellows do?
Traveling Fellows are offered a number of exciting opportunities:
- Participate in scientific symposia with host physicians
- View research facilities and surgical procedures
- Attend a national sports meeting in the region they are visiting
- Participate in social and cultural activities
- What are the benefits of the Traveling Fellowship Program?
The Traveling Fellowship Program offers a rich experience with opportunities to:
- Foster an exchange of scientific information, stimulate research, and develop friendships among physicians who practice sports medicine in North America, Europe, Latin America and Pacific Rim countries
- Serve as a bridge that may be used to forge the future of sports medicine worldwide
- Provide a stimulus for leadership by recognizing young physicians who have made a significant contribution to sports medicine
- Participate in social and cultural activities with the local sports medicine community
- Forge personal and professional relationships that last a lifetime
North American - European Exchange
North American - Latin American Exchange
North American - Asian Exchange
Past Tour Highlights
View Video from Past Tours
Read Past Tour Blog Archives
Traveling Fellows Take Flight to the Asia-Pacific
AOSSM Traveling Fellows Set-off on 2019 Tour in Japan
Traveling Fellows Continue Tour in Korea
Traveling Fellows Head South to Taiwan
Reaching New Heights in Hong Kong
Shanghai Welcomes the Traveling Fellows
A Reflection on Enjoying the Journey