The traveling fellowship program is an annual scientific and cultural exchange among orthopaedic sports medicine physicians in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America. This program is a unique opportunity for individuals to witness orthopaedic sports medicine techniques and surgeries from around the world. Three fellows are selected to visit foreign sports medicine centers for four weeks, and are accompanied by a "Godparent", a well-known senior orthopaedic sports medicine specialist selected by the President of the national sports medicine organization sending the fellows.
Fellows from North America annually alternate travel to Europe, Asia-Pacific or Latin America. In alternate years, fellows from those regions travel to North America. Click on the links below for more information and instructions on how to apply or host a traveling fellow or contact Debbie Czech
with any questions.
AOSSM gratefully acknowledges DJO Global for their continued support of the Traveling Fellowship program.
Become a Traveling Fellow
We are currently accepting applications for our 2017 Tours to either Asia or Latin America!
Tentative tour dates for the APKASS (Asia) tour will be April 6th - April 29th, 2017.
Tentative tour dates for the SLARD (Latin America) tour will be July 28th - August 20th, 2017.
Host a Traveling Fellow
We are currently accepting applications for Traveling Fellowship hosts during the 2017 North American tour.
Traveling Fellowship 2017 Asia Tour
Follow the journey of our 2017 AOSSM to APKASS Traveling Fellowship, one blog at a time!
Part 1 | AOSSM Traveling Fellows Kickoff Asia Tour
Part 2 | Traveling Fellows Take Flight to Taiwan
Part 3 | Tour Continues in Shanghai
Part 4 | Traveling Fellows are Kobe Bound
Part 5 | Traveling Fellowship Tour Journeys to Hiroshima
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do traveling fellows do?
Traveling Fellows are offered a number of exciting opportunities:
- Participate in scientific symposia with host physicians
- View research facilities and surgical procedures
- Attend a national sports meeting in the region they are visiting
- Participate in social and cultural activities
- What are the benefits of the Traveling Fellowship Program?
The Traveling Fellowship Program offers a rich experience with opportunities to:
- Foster an exchange of scientific information, stimulate research, and develop friendships among physicians who practice sports medicine in North America, Europe, Latin America and Pacific Rim countries
- Serve as a bridge that may be used to forge the future of sports medicine worldwide
- Provide a stimulus for leadership by recognizing young physicians who have made a significant contribution to sports medicine
- Participate in social and cultural activities with the local sports medicine community
- Forge personal and professional relationships that last a lifetime
- How do I Apply for a Traveling Fellowship?
• Fellows are selected by their national sports medicine organization
• In North America, the Traveling Fellowship Committee selects three fellows based on a demonstrated commitment to sports medicine, excellence in research and clinical practice as manifested through presentations, publications, and team service.
• Letters of reference (both personal and professional) are also required
• Applicant must be an orthopaedic surgeon currently practicing in North America, who is 45 years of age or under
• Applicant must also be board certified, and an AOSSM member who has done a sports medicine fellowship. Individuals currently in a sports medicine fellowship should not apply.
Submit Your Online Application Here
The application must be completed. Your completed application and letters of support must be received by the Society office by October 31, 2015 for the 2016 Tours. If you have any additional questions, please contact Debbie Czech.
North American - European Exchange
North American - Latin American Exchange
North American - Asian Exchange
Photo Galleries and Recaps
View Photos from Past Tours
2013 Tour Recap